How Has Veterinary Medicine/OVC Changed


1862

Smith arrived in Canada and began practicing veterinary science and giving public lectures in Toronto.

 "Andrew Smith arrived in Toronto from Scotland in late September 1861, sponsored by the Board of Agriculture of Upper Canada but without any building from which to practice his profession to to use as a lecture room?About January 1, 1862 the address of Smith's practice changed to the corner of Bay and Temperance Street where he advertised a Veterinary Establishment."

Barker, C.A.V. "The Ontario Veterinary College: Temperance Street Era." Canadian Veterinary Journal 16, no. 11 (November 1975): 319-328.


 

1876Black and White Photo of OVC Temperance St. Building, Toronto, 1890

As student numbers increased, the College expanded on Temperance Street to include a new lecture hall with capacity for 200 students, a laboratory, more offices and a larger stable. Again in 1889, due to the pressure of large class sizes and increased veterinary case load, additional space was added, including including two large lecture rooms and teaching laboratories and demonstration rooms.

 

 "In 1896 the Veterinary Act of 1890 was revised in accordance with the Rutherford motion, however, there was a delay until 1899 in putting the requirements into effect. Rutherford wrote to Principal Andrew Smith in 1896 of his concern about O.V.C. standards but Smith's reply is unknown. Smith had been fending off since 1866 the criticisms of the standards applicable for admission and awarding the diploma on completion of the two year (12 months) curriculum at his college in Toronto."

Barker, C.A.V. "John G. Rutherford and the Controversial Standards of Education at the Ontario Veterinary College from 1864 to 1920." Canadian Veterinary Journal 18, no. 12 (December 1977): 327-340.

 

Black and White Photo of OVC Main Building, Toronto, 1877

Go to Page 2